Don't Say or Do These Things
Yes, the truth can be stranger than fiction, and if one lives long enough, he or she is bound to see the strange play out in all forms, including weird interviews at a senior leadership level.
Below, you’ll find tips from TriNet Pharma’s recruiters ― tips based on things people have said or done during an interview; but to keep it interesting, the tips are mixed with fictional guidance. It’s up to you to decide what tips are based on reality and which tips are not. It may be hard for you to decide!
- If you’re on a Skype interview or participating in a face-to-face interview, know that you can be seen. Don’t pick your nose and eat your boogers.
- Damn it, don’t swear like a sailor during an interview.
- Don’t cry during an interview, and if you feel inclined to crawl into a corner or under a table, don’t.
- Unless you’re Superman or Superwoman and need to change into your super costume, don’t bring your notes in a garment bag.
- Even if you think you are the Rolls-Royce Sweptail or the Ferrari Pininfarina Sergio of (insert any title), don’t say so out loud.
- Whoa, doggy. Don’t insult the interviewer or cast aspersions on the published work of the hiring manager, even if it is rubbish.
- Don’t ask the hiring manager if you can hang out in the office or share dinner after the interview.
- Don’t take a phone interview in the bathroom ― and flush.
- If you have an interview that includes a meal at a restaurant, chew with your mouth closed and don’t eat the crumbs off the table.
- If the position requires that you travel, don’t say that you only travel first class.
- Don’t ask the interviewer if he or she can hurry things up.
- Avoid extremely casual conversation, those you interview with don’t need to know that Talarian hook spiders fascinate you.
- Don’t make false claims of fame.
- Save your dazzling pick up skills for those you won’t work under or with.
- Don’t drink a large amount of a beverage with diuretic properties. Excessive fidgeting and urinating all over yourself are unacceptable.
- Make eye contact; otherwise, you’ll seem like a serial killer.